- 1 pound of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, trimmed into 1/2″ slices
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled (more if you like)
- 6 Black Mission figs, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts, toasted
Heat grill to medium heat.
Put asparagus and onion on rimmed baking sheet, lined with foil for easy clean up. Drizzle oil over and season with salt and pepper. Making sure they are thoroughly coated.
Place on grill, turn asparagus after 3-4 minutes, just until you have grill marks. continue cooking a minute or two and transfer back to baking sheet. Onions will need to be flipped after 5 minutes, grill on other side an additional 5 minutes.
Transfer to baking sheet along asparagus.
In a small bowl whisk vinegar, thyme and remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil.
Toss asparagus, onions and half vinaigrette, salt and pepper together. Place on serving platter and top with cheese, figs and pine nuts. Add more vinaigrette to your taste.
You can reserve additional vinaigrette for salad.