With my Garden starting the daily flow of Zucchini, I have been trying out new ways to cook up this persistent veggie.
There is nothing like walking out to your garden and picking your own produce to serve up a dinner. The zucchinis were still warm from the sun as I prepared this recipe, that makes me happy!
I looked up a few different versions of this recipe and ended up using my own spice mix, you can certainly make up your own from your favorites. No real rules here, but cooking temperature and time need to stay the same.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 2-3″ strips (think the size of potato fries)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning (you could use zest of lemon and pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix spices in bowl to blend, add olive oil and stir.
Prep zucchini and add to mix. Stir to coat all zucchini fries evenly.
Place zucchini fries on a baking sheet lined with foil and place on top rack of oven. Bake for 15 minutes, stir or flip fries. Continue to bake for an addition 7-10 minutes. Remove lightly toss and serve.
Option to serve with blue cheese dip.
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon zest of lemon
Blend ingredients in bowl and serve a dollop with zucchini fries.
Health benefits of zucchini
1 cup of diced zucchini provides 86 percent of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of 2,333 IU of vitamin A for women, and 67 percent of the RDA of 3,000 IU for men. Vitamin A promotes healthy eyesight, skin and lung function. Zucchini also provides vitamin C, an antioxidant vitamin that may help prevent the cellular damage caused by environmental toxins and harmful chemical processes within your body. Vitamin C may also support your immune system and promote respiratory health, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Zucchini also offers potassium, an electrolyte that helps maintain your fluid balance and normalizes your blood pressure.
- Recipe for Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme (kalynskitchen.com)
- Recipe: Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Sticks (manhattan.ny1.com)
- Salt and Vinegar Zucchini Chips (thenourishedseed.wordpress.com)