I went on a 26 mile bike ride with my friend Tami in 90 degree heat, and we finished up at 4:00 p.m. To say I was wiped out would be an understatement. After I got home, took a quick shower and guzzled a gallon water, I had to start up dinner. Usually trying out a new recipe can take a lot of extra time and energy, which I didn’t have to spare. However, this beauty was easy to pull together, took a minimal amount of ingredients and most importantly I wasn’t left with a lot of clean up. It ended up being a joy to pull together such a delicious and healthy meal, when I wanted nothing more than to call for delivery!
I know you know the health benefits of Salmon, but just in case you don’t know the powerhouse of Lentils, I will give you a quick rundown.
High in Fiber, Stabilizes Blood Sugar, High in Iron, Great Source of Vitamin B, helps us lower our cholesterol, and Protein makes up 26% of the calories.
Recipe modified from Gourmet 2008, Shelley Wiseman
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (15 seconds with paper on in microwave)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ to 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 (6-ounce) pieces skinless salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Make mustard-herb butter: Stir together all ingredients with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cook lentils: Bring lentils, water, and ¾ teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Reserve ½ cup cooking liquid, then drain lentils.
- While lentils cook, chop leeks, then wash . Cook leeks in butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add lentils with reserved cooking liquid to leeks along with 3 tablespoons mustard-herb butter and cook, stirring, until lentils are heated through and butter is melted. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered.
- Bake salmon while leeks cook: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place Salmon on a broiler pan buttered.
- Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper (total) and place on buttered pan
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Serve salmon, topped with remaining mustard-herb butter, over lentils.