Asparagus Salad with Salsa and Egg is a salad that highlights a beautiful bounty of seasonal vegetables. You can enjoy this healthy gluten free dish as a salad or a side dish.
It is Asparagus season. Even though you can get asparagus throughout the year, the spears you buy now are much more flavorful and nutritious. Manly because the produce does not have to travel far to arrive at your grocer. This steamed Asparagus Salad with Salsa and Egg is healthy clean made with the freshest ingredients and is loaded with potassium and omega 3’s. Great for your muscles and brain.
Select bright green asparagus with closed, compact, and firm tips. Also look for cut ends that are not dry. Select asparagus stalks that are about the same thickness so cooking will be uniform. Thickness does not influence quality. If the tips are slightly wilted, freshen them up by soaking them in cold water.
Asparagus helps to reduce the risk of heart disease in several ways It’s a good source of potassium to normalize blood pressure, and folate another nutrient important for heart health. It’s also rich in soluble fiber to help lower blood cholesterol levels. Asparagus also lowers cholesterol by another mechanism – saponins. Natural saponins found in asparagus bind to cholesterol in the digestive tract so that it’s less readily absorbed into the bloodstream. It also alters liver metabolism of cholesterol in a favorable way. All in all, asparagus is one heart friendly vegetableThis dish is loaded with healthy benefits. Parsley, Eggs, Chia Seeds and Tomatoes plus the asparagus punch a Superfood punch. Not only is this dish low in calories it loaded with flavor. Great side to any chicken, pork or meat dish.
- 1 pound of asparagus, trimmed and steamed
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon, chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoon, chopped and seeded tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon capers
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Steam Asparagus
- Add one inch of water to dutch oven bring to a low boil (barely bubbling) add asparagus, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove asparagus to serving platter
- Add parsley, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, tomatoes lime juice, olive oil, dijon, capers and chia seeds in a bowl, stir to combine.
- Top salsa over asparagus
- Top salsa with chopped egg
- Top with grated parmesan cheese (optional)