My husband LOVES Brussels Sprouts. Jacob and I DO NOT!
Yes, I know they are a super food and are loaded with vitamin A & C, calcium, potassium and fiber. Oh yea, and they may help fight cancer.
So I am always trying to find ways to put them in a recipe where I can eat them without really tasting them! 😉 This recipe does it!
Not only do you get the health benefits from the Brussels Sprouts, but also the Cauliflower and the Omega-3’s from the Anchovies! I also try to use purple Cauliflower if I can find it. Purple Cauliflower has the added anthocyanin antioxidants, which is an antioxidant. Plus it is pretty!
- 12 ounces your favorite sturdy pasta
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound purple cauliflower florets, cut in 1-inch pieces (any color will do)
- 1/2 pound brussels sprout, halved or quartered if large
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 plump oil-packed anchovies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add the Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts and season with salt and black pepper; cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet along with the onion, garlic, anchovies, crushed red pepper, rosemary and thyme; cook, stirring, until the onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat until the cauliflower and sprouts are tender, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
4. In a small skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a bowl.
5. Add the pasta and reserved cooking water to the vegetables and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until the water is nearly absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Serve the pasta in wide bowls, passing the bread crumbs and additional cheese at the table.