- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup whiskey (I used Makers Mark– it is what we had open)
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)
Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee or tea, orange juice and rye or whiskey, if using. (If you measure your oil before the honey, it will be easier to get all of the honey out.)
Place cake pans on two baking sheets, stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).
Bake until cake springs back when you gently touch the cake center. About 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet style cakes, baking time is 40 to 45 minutes.
Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan.
This is as delicious as it looks! Its moist and sweet!
- All in a weekend show on CBC Radio Canada, and a strawberry cake (latartinegourmande.com)
- Honey Espresso Black Velvet Cupcakes (romancingthebee.com)
- Scones! (thehungrygiant.wordpress.com)
- Very Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (nancycreative.com)
- Lavender-honey cakes (masondixonkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Cinnamon Streusel Muffins (cookingwithshy.wordpress.com)
- Greek Melomakarona (notecook.com)