1. Eat more fresh organic fiber. When you sit down to eat a meal, eat your veggies and fruits before your protein and carbs. This works in two ways, first it makes sure you are getting the much-needed nutrients and minerals that fresh organic produce can offer. Secondly fiber fills you up with a low amount of calories, when you are full you won’t eat as much of the high calorie proteins and carbs.
Click (here) to see the list of produce that is worth buying organic.
2. Eat breakfast! It doesn’t matter if you are hungry, eat breakfast! Once you make eating a healthy breakfast part of your routine, you will wake up hungry because you will have trained your metabolism to get started as soon as your feet hit the carpet in the morning. The reason you’re not hungry now, is your metabolism has learned that you won’t feed it so it is slow to start. The more your metabolism runs during the day, the more energy you have and the more calories you burn, making your body run efficiently.
3. What kind of breakfast matters. There are carbs and then there are carbs. First kind of carbs lack fiber, don’t fill you up, and leave you hungry 30 minutes later. Second kind of carbs have a bit of fiber and, if you’re lucky, protein, so they give your body an energy boost and fill you up. Why should you care? If you eat the first kind of carb you are giving your body very little nutrition and you will spike your blood sugar, making you hungry and grumpy. If you eat the second kind of carb, you are feeding your body the nutrition it needs to run efficiently and you will be full longer and a happier person. My favorite breakfast is steel cut oatmeal with a type of berry, chia seeds and a nut (almond or walnut).
4. Buy fresh produce. Don’t buy canned or boxed produce. Read the label, the stuff is loaded with sodium among other things you do not want to feed your body. Sodium (salt) may cause inflammation in your cells. Inflammation in your cells causes damage, which can cause disease. Simple, simple, simple, you do not want all that extra sodium, so buy fresh produce and stem it if possible. Plus when you are all swollen you may look bad and feel bad and then you’re grumpy again.
5. Drink water. I know you know it, but I will say it again. I am just as guilty as you, I don’t drink enough water. I do a good job for a while and then I fall off the water wagon. This year I am making a promise to myself to drink more water. A quick trick I plan on using; before I eat or drink anything in the morning, drink an 8-ounce glass of water, it is a great way to start off the day.
Eat well, be active, be generous and live a balanced healthy life.
Get Old is an initiative developed by Pfizer to challenge people of all ages to rethink what it means to Get Old and take a more active role in their health and quality of life at every age. What are you doing to Get Old well? Tell us at GetOld.com and join the conversation on Twitter.com/GetOld and Facebook.com/GetOld. I am participating in a sponsored campaign hosted by Pfizer and Get Old. I received compensation for this post. All opinions stated are my own. Get Old is a registered trademark of Pfizer Inc.