When I have a protein, fish or chicken or beef I want a satisfying side dish. I have been cooking up quinoa more and more, passing on rice and pasta. The reason why Quinoa is up there with meat and dairy products when it comes to source of protein, but its a plant-based protein so it contains more protein and fewer carbs than wheat, rye, rice and oats, not to mention double and triple the fiber of most grains. Some label Quinoa as the near-perfect food to add to your diet
What makes this dish even more special is that the complete list of ingredients are Superfoods (except for the pinch of salt) yes, all the ingredients are on the Superfood list, meaning that every one of these foods is a powerhouse of multiple disease-fighting nutrients.
I like to make this ahead of time to enjoy cold after I exercise or for lunch. It also makes a great side dish to fish or chicken and is pretty enough to serve at a dinner party, or a substitution for one of those carb loaded Thanksgiving side dishes??
However you choose to enjoy it you know that is filling, satisfying and loaded with antioxidants, folate, vitamin C, omega-3’s and protein.
Quinoa with Mustard Greens
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mustard green mix I used Earthbound Farm Organic ZEN
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoon walnut pieces
- Rinse quinoa with cold water thoroughly
- Heat water in small pan over high heat.
- As soon as bubbles start to form in water, add rinsed quinoa and pinch of kosher salt.
- Lower heat to simmer and cover pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Remove from heat, add pepper and olive oil and mustard greens.
- Stir and cover for several minutes until greens wilt.
- Add lemon juice, chia seeds and walnut pieces
- Stir and serve.
If greens do not wilt put back on stove over low simmer for a minute or two.