There is nothing better than a delicious homemade Lasagna. My Simple Lasagna will become one of your families favorites it is a loaded with layers of perfect spiced meat and marinara, cheese and pasta. You can make this ahead and freeze to pull out and cook when you need it.
Lasagna is a crowd pleaser. I have tried several recipes, one that had a sauce that took all day to simmer on the stove top before assembly and cost a small fortune in ingredients, and several vegetable versions. All were good, but this is really great and it is so darn simple and delicious. The meat and tomato sauce is perfect to serve over any noodle and can be frozen to pull out later. Another wonderful thing about Lasagna is that it can be assembled the day before, refrigerated and cooked the next day. It also freezes well, for a delicious dinner down the road. Now is the time to start cooking and freezing dinners to sustain us through the crazy holidays, so pick up double the ingredients like I did, make one dinner for tonight and throw the second one together for the freezer.
If you plan on freezing, go ahead and cook, let cool and stick in the refrigerator to chill 1-2 hours. Remove, wrap in foil really well, we don’t want freezer burn down the road. Mark the date and freeze for up to 3 months. When you are ready to cook, remove the night before and stick in the refrigerator to start the defrost (I usually put it out on the counter-top the morning I plan to reheat). Set oven to 180 degrees, when thawed, remove foil and reheat for 30-40 minutes.
Author: Amy via Paula Deen
- 1½ lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried chopped basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce (I used Schiavone's Marinara with Basil Sauce)
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1½ cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (5-ounce)package grated Parmigianno-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 9 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine ground chuck, sausage onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is browned and crumbled; drain.
- Return meat to pan and add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, parsley, and eggs.
- Spoon ¼ of sauce into bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Do not overlap noodles.
- Spread ⅓ of cottage cheese mixture over noodles. Use an of-set knife or butter knife to spread evenly over noodles.
- Top with ¼ of sauce and ⅓ mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with sauce, reserving ⅓ of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.