It’s been 42 years since the first Earth Day in 1970 and 22 years since Earth Day went global in 1990.
If you would like to honor Earth Day, here are 24 things to do in honor of the day that brought attention to giving back to the environment, instead of just taking.
Try out a few today!
- Buy an e-reader
- Walk around your town or city and pick up trash
- Plant a tree
- Start a compost pile
- Prepare the ground to plant a garden so you can use your compost pile
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Take a walk on the beach
- Take a hike in the woods
- Ride your bike or walk to work
- Pledge to start recycling
- Go bird watching
- Take a photo of nature
- Eat one of your meals outside
- Wear a flower in your hair
- Attend a local Earth Day celebration
- Buy some reusable shopping bags
- Join your local Freecycle to pass along items instead of throwing them away
- Swap out your light bulbs with energy efficient ones
- Don’t use any appliances for the day
- Collect hazardous materials like paint and batteries and dispose of them properly
- Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)
- Dance in the rain
- Watch an environmental themed movies like “Avatar” or Discovery’s series “Planet Earth”
- Get involved with your local environmental group
I have been thinking of putting a composting trash can or two over by the chicken coop. I already put their droppings in a small can over by their coop, that just sits there until its full, which usually takes a couple months. And since my composting piles are at the other end of the property the can only gets emptied when its full.
Because its Earth Day I will soon be on my way to pick up two plastic garbage cans!
I’m also going to throw in egg shells, my coffee grinds and some grass clippings and at the end of the eight weeks I will just walk over to my vegetable garden and compost my beds!
I have included a video link on how to make your own compost bin from a regular plastic trash can.
I found this method simple-stupid and quick! Give it a try.