White Chocolate Coconut Cookies are a sweet, crunchy and delicious treat. A butter cookie that is dipped in white chocolate and then dipped in coconut flakes.
My oldest son loves these cookies.
I usually ask the boys what cookie recipe they would like me to make for their birthdays, or for school events where I am brining a snack. This cookie is quickly yelled out when I ask my oldest. Well, usually he yells out these and Snickerdoodles. The boy loves his cookies.
Really it is surprising that he likes these so much because they are not your typical flat cookie. These are a bit more complex in flavor and texture.
I like making them and boxing them up to give as gifts for birthdays because they are so elegant looking.
Not to worry, even though they may look fancy they are simple, delicious.
You can also freeze this dough to use later.
Hint: I freeze the dough in late October – early November and pull the dough out over Thanksgiving to make a batch up in 15 minutes.
To freeze dough: after combining all ingredients roll dough in a log shape, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. When ready to bake, place on counter to thaw. When still cool cut into one-inch slices and proceed.
White Chocolate Coconut Cookies
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup shredded sweet coconut flakes
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted
- ¾ cup toasted, shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with Parchment Paper or Silpat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the baking powder, baking soda, flour and salt.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, mix until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Fold in the oats, and shredded coconut flakes.
- Form walnut-sized balls of the mixture and drop 2 inches apart onto baking sheet pans.
- Place one pan on top rack and other on bottom, bake for 5 minutes and then rotate pans, baking for an additional 5-6 minutes. Until the bottom of the cookies are golden brown. They will be soft, but will firm once cooled.
- Place coconut in a small bowl.
- Place white chocolate in a second bowl, and heat in microwave at 50% for 1 minute. Stir until blended.
- Place wax paper on counter and take each cookie one at a time dipping end in chocolate and then into coconut.
- Lay on wax paper to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator in a covered container for week to 10 days