Bison Chili with Beer and Bacon
Bison Chili with Beer and Bacon is the perfect cool-weather recipe. Layers of bison, bacon, salsa, and beer leave you with big flavors, low calories, and plenty of protein. Gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free, too.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time55 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr
Course: Main Course
Keyword: beer chili recipe, ground bison recipes, homemade chili
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground bison
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- About 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes 14.5 oz, or regular crushed tomatoes
- 1 can salsa 8 oz
- 1 cup beer choose a flavorful, medium-bodied beer, I used Green's
- 1 can mixed beans 14.5 oz, or black beans, check label for gluten-free
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add bison, breaking up and stirring until slightly cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt, stir to combine.
Push bison to the perimeter of pan making a clear spot in the center.
Add the onion and garlic to the center and stir cooking until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, salsa, and beer and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and cook 30 minutes.
Add beans and cook 10 minutes, uncovered. Season to taste with salt. Serve warm, with toppings on the side.