Chicken Sofrito Stew
Tender chicken breasts, juicy corn, melt-in-your-mouth potatoes and more mingle with a spicy South American seasoning blend in this cozy Chicken Sofrito Stew! Your taste buds will worship every bite of this soul-warming entree.
- 1 ½ cups sofrito
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups organic chicken stock
- 1 cup small red, white or purple potatoes or combination of all three
- 6 carrots cut into big chunks
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large zucchini, cut into big chunks
- 2 corn cobs cut into 1-2 inch cobettes
- 1 bunch kale leaves removed from stems and torn roughly
- limes and cilantro for serving
Season the chicken generously with salt. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until browned, a few minutes on each side.
Add in the sofrito, chicken stock, potatoes, and carrots. Cook uncovered over low heat for about 1 to 1½ hours. Season and salt to taste.
Remove the chicken from the soup, and shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.
Ten minutes before serving, add the zucchini, corn, kale, and shredded chicken to the soup.
To serve, ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- To Store: Transfer cooled stew to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: Reheat stew over medium-low heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Individual servings can be microwaved for 30 seconds at a time.