Chicken Piccata is a flavorful and delicious, healthy, light, gluten free, grain free, paleo, clean eating recipe.
It is that time again, time to pound the crap out of the chicken. Its a rather fun part of cooking, sliding a chicken breast into a Ziploc bag and pounding it with a mallet until its nice and flat as a pancake. Who knew cooking could be so physical and violent?
Though my pounding was a bit weak since I am still pretty sore from my CrossFit competition, so sore that lifting the little whimsy mallet was a challenge.
Good thing for me and my sore body that this recipe is like grease lightening from start to finish. Though it is quite impressive when finished, the caramelized lemons and fresh parsley add a beautiful layer and delicious flavor to the browned chicken. It is perfect for a weeknight dinner when you are short on time or are just sore from your workout. You will definitely want to put this in your dinner rotation ASAP!
- 1 large organic lemon
- 2 boneless organic, skinless, chicken breasts, pounded until 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cut one lemon in half lengthwise. Trim the ends from one half and cut across into thin slices about 1/8 inch thick; set aside. Juice the remaining half into a small bowl and set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with almond flour, gently rubbing to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add chicken to skillet without moving them until lightly browned on the first side, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook until the second side is lightly browned, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate kept warm in the oven, or cover with aluminum foil.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil toss shallots in hot pan and sautee until they become translucent, scrape up brown bits left from chicken. Add the chicken broth and lemon slices. Allow to cook until lemon slices are well-softened about 2-3 minutes. Add the capers and reserved lemon juice, and allow to reduce to concentrate flavors.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the remaining butter until it melts and thickens the sauce. Toss in the parsley. Spoon over chicken and serve.
You might also like: