My bon appetit magazine arrived via the postal service showing a beautiful bowl of pasta on the cover. I threw it into my bag when we flew to Vegas to check it out on our trip. The magazine has so many dog ears its not funny, but this recipe was #1 on my must try list. The dumplings are so simple to make, I wasn’t sure I was doing it right, but sure enough yep you mix the cheeses, eggs, spices and flour together roll it into balls and then boil it. It just didn’t seem like it was going to work, but it did. And DAMN they were good. I used a vodka marinara instead of a Pomodoro Sauce which bon appetit called for.
Serve this with a mixed green salad and a side of green beans with a bottle of wine and you have an incredible beautiful, delicious meal.
- 1 16 ounce container of Ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, + more for water
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, + more for topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, + more for hands and dusting baking sheet
- 1 bottle Vodka Marinara Sauce (I used San Marzano)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl combine cheeses, salt & pepper, ½ cup of flour and beaten egg and egg yolk. Stir to blend.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour.
- Dust your hands and pinch dough into roll into 2" balls (estimated)
- Lay balls on flour dusted baking sheet. Dust balls and roll so that they do not stick to parchment.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a huge pinch of kosher salt and add balls in batches. (I cooked about 12 a batch)
- Balls will rise to top, but continue cooking for a total of 5-6 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon to serving bowl that is filled with sauce.
- Toss to coat and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and parsley