Gluten Free Sweet Potato Tater Tots are easy and fun to make. These little devils were such a pleasant surprise, I couldn’t eat enough of them. Clean, healthy, sweet, grain free and delicious, perfect for superbowl sunday or a family dinner.
Follow me on Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
I have a bit of a confession to make, I don’t think I had ever eaten a sweet potato until a few years ago. I am not sure why, probably ignorance about how darn good they are. Now we have sweet potatoes at least once a week. I fry them, bake them, shred them, dump them in my eggs, add them to my casseroles and soups. Can’t get enough! I started playing around with superbowl food recipes a few weeks ago, and wanted something that represented a fry or a tot. I wasn’t sure what using a sweet potato would get me, but adding a bit of parmesan cheese and gluten free panko bread crumbs, I got myself a sweet salty tater tot awesomeness. That is what I got. I made so many I had leftovers, so I stuck them in the fridge to pull out and enjoy the next day, I thought they were even better. Can you believe it. I served Sriracha sauce alongside these little orange devils to add a bit of heat with the sweet.
I actually consumed quite a few of these during the photo process, check out all those crumbs in a few of the pics. Total munching while photographing. One of the perks of a food blogger, you can claim the reason you ate so many was because of the job. uh-huh! That is what I am telling myself… and you!
I hope you give these little guys a try and let me know what you think. If you make them and love them share them on your instagram feed and tag @ahealthylifeforme so that I can see your masterpiece!
Who do you think will win the big game? Seattle or Patriots?
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Tater Tots
Sweet Potato Tater Tots:
- 3 about 1 1/2 pounds medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter melted or softened
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups gluten free panic bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with fork. Bake directly on the rack until tender, 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Once cool use your hands to peel away the sweet potatoes skin. It should just easily slip off. Place the potatoes in a medium size bowl and mash with the butter. Stir in the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a baking sheet with coconut oil and place the panko bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture into you hand and roll into a cylinder. The sweet potato mixture will be wet, but this is fine. The shape does not need to be perfect and you can fix it once you have rolled them in the bread crumb mix.
- Roll the sweet potatoes in the bread crumb mix and coat well. If you need to re-shape the cylinders do so now.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the sweet potato mixture is gone.
- Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes and flip the the tater tots over and bake another 10-15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from oven and serve.
You might also like:
23 comments on “Gluten Free Sweet Potato Tater Tots”
This is a great mixup on the use of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes make excellent french fries so I’m sure these are just as good!
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables! This recipe is totally up my alley!
I hope you enjoy it Jaren!
These look so good! I have never had a sweet potato tot but I love the idea!
We gotta get you eating sweet potatoes Briton, you don’t know what you are missing!
My kiddos would love these!
Yes! I am making these tomorrow! I’m forever looking for new ways to use sweet potatoes and this looks perfect!
I hope you enjoyed them as much as wel do Amanda!