This Grilled Sausage Peppers and Onion Casserole is the perfect summer dinner for the family or your next barbecue. Gluten free, dairy free and all clean ingredients make this a great recipe for a picky crowd.
This post has been sponsored by Tyson. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Are you in the full summer swing?
I am so running into to summer with my arms open wide and a smile on my face! I have been soaking up the warm, glorious weather like a reptile on a rock. Last week for my lunch break, I went out and sat on a bench in the sun, popped my head back and fell asleep for a few minutes.
It was glorious!
My shoes of choice are always open toed when ever I can get away with it. It seems even my feet want some vitamin D.
One of the best things about summer is hosting barbecues- being outside with friends, food and drink on a warm summer day. Hopefully with a water source big enough to jump in and cool off.
I am always looking for delicious and easy barbecue recipes. It is a real challenge to find hot main recipes to bring to barbecue s that won’t leave you standing next to a hot grill.
This Grilled Sausage Peppers and Onion Casserole was inspired by the Hillshire Farms Naturals Uncured Polska Kielbasa that I picked up at my local Kroger grocery store and some beautiful peppers I picked up at my Farmers Market.
What makes this recipe genius for a barbecue is you can cook it all up on the grill in an aluminum baking dish, cover it will aluminum foil to keep it warm, and have a ready-to-serve main course. If you won’t be serving it right away, pop it in the fridge and warm it back up on the grill.
Because this recipe is made with clean ingredients, it satisfies a large crowd of specific eaters. I threw brown rice in with mine because I wanted to include a carb, but that is definitely an option with this recipe. If you want to keep it gluten-free, just skip the rice.
Because Hillshire Farm Naturals® Smoked Sausage have no artificial ingredients, MSG or nitrates even the pickiest eater will be gobbling up this recipe. With a short list of ingredients you can pronounce and recognize, you can feel great about eating it, too.
Grilled Sausage Peppers and Onion Recipe Casserole
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion sliced into 1/4" circles
- 2 red bell peppers stemmed, cored and sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 green bell peppers stemmed, cored, sliced into 1/4" strips
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- pinch Kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 12 ounce Hillshire Farm Naturals® Uncured Polska Kielbasa cut into 2-3" pieces
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar and honey. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.Heat grill to medium high heat.Transfer onion and pepper mixture to a 10-inch square disposable aluminum pan. Nestle sausage into onion and pepper mixture.
Place tray on grill, cover and cook 6-8 minutes. Lower heat to low under tray and cook an additional 6-8 minutes, until sausage is 140° on an instant read thermometer.Remove, toss and cover with foil until ready to serve.Option: serve with 1 cup of dried brown rice cooked according to directions.