Pepper Mushroom Onion Crostini is the perfect way to enjoy a summer appetizer or light lunch.
Why you should make Pepper Mushroom Crostini
Bell Peppers are in season in July. As with most produce you will find the most flavorful and sweet bell pepper in the heat of summer. Roasting them with onions and mushrooms allows them to really shine. Topping this mix on a crusty toasted bread is the perfect way to enjoy an appetizer with friends or a light lunch. Great with a crisp white wine on a warm summer night with the laughter of friends sounds magical to me.
How to make the Baguette into perfectly toasted Crostini
Make sure that you slice your bread evenly. You want them to be almost the same thickness, so that they cook evenly. You also want the bread to be thick enough to hold the toppings, but not too thick to eat. About ½” thickness is perfect.
Layer your bread evenly. You do not want the bread to overlap. Then drizzle your olive oil over bread to help with toasting.
Keep an eye on your bread once you place it under the broiler. It will toast up quickly, and burn even quicker.
How to make Pepper Mushroom Crostini
The key to enjoying this recipe at its best is to use the freshest produce and good quality bread. Pick a Red Bell Pepper that is firm and has not started to wrinkle. This will allow it to hold up well in the cooking process. Use a sweet yellow onion so that the flavor doesn’t overpower the Red Bell Pepper and Mushrooms. Any mushroom will work in this recipe, but I like the small baby shiitake as they are easier to place on the bread.
You can use an artisan baguette or sourdough in this recipe, but I feel the artisan offers a crisper foundation for the topping.
As always, use good quality extra virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese.
How to season your vegetables to perfection
You want to add salt and pepper after you add each vegetable. This allows the vegetables to be evenly seasoned. As long as you keep your heat at a medium, and stir occasionally you really can allow your vegetables to soften and season to perfection.
Your vegetables can be made ahead of time and stored at room temperature for several hours. If you need to store longer, store in the refrigerator and remove at least 30 minutes before serving to let the olive oil come to room temperature.
If you like this recipe, check out PALEO SKILLET BEEF FAJITAS
You might also like, Green Deviled Eggs with Roasted Red Peppers
Pepper Mushroom Onion Crostini
- Heavy Skillet
- Baking Sheet
- 1 artisan baguette sliced on a diagonal
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Pepper Mushroom Onion Topping:
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper cored and seeded, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1 garlic clove peeled and very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces of baby shiitake
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
- ¼ cup of good white wine
- ¼ cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional
- Heat oven to low broil. Place the oven rack in the top third of the oven.
- Place sliced baguette in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over bread.
- Cook for 1-3 minutes, or until bread starts to brown at its edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool, until ready to serve.
Pepper Mushroom Onion Topping:
- In a large heavy skillet add olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion and let onions soften, stirring occasionally for about 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in a pinch of kosher salt and black ground pepper
- Add red bell pepper slices to the pan, stir into onions and add another pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the pepper starts to soften.
- Toss mushrooms and garlic into the onion and red bell pepper mix, stir well. Add final bit of salt and pepper, herb mix and white wine.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms soften.
- Remove skillet from heat. Toss in 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, place crostini on a serving plate. Using a fork or spoon, place an even mixture of onion, pepper and mushroom on each crostini.
- Sprinkle tops of crostini with remaining Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if using.
- Serve and enjoy!