Chicken Burrito Bowls is a one pot dinner recipe loaded with spice and flavor to please the whole family. Plus this recipe gluten-free, dairy free, low calorie and high protein.
We had a glorious weekend weather wise here in Cincinnati. I couldn’t soak in enough of the sunshine and 50° temperatures. I leashed up the dogs and we went for a walk enjoying some well deserved Vitamin D.
One of my favorite places to grab lunch is Chipotle, the chicken bowl being my favorite. It was time to come up with my own recipe to enjoy at home, because lets face it when you make it yourself it is WAY better. This is a simple recipe that can be made ahead and warmed up later, which to me makes it the best kind of recipe. Especially when I seem to make a lot of containers for later meals with the men in my life. I like to top with some cubed avocado and serve with some gluten-free organic tortilla chips.
What is your favorite thing to order at Chipotle?
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pepper, cored and diced (I used red pepper)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix cut into large cubes
- 5 medium sized tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 1/4 cups organic low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup brown rice, gluten free
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, diced
- Place dutch oven over medium heat and add coconut oil, until melted.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic, cook until softened about 3-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, chicken, chicken stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin to pot. Cover and lower heat to low cook about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and add the rice, and frozen corn. Replace the lid and continue cooking on low for another 45 minutes.
- Check and stir once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place chicken back into pot, stir.
- Place in bowls, top with diced avocado.
- Serve and Enjoy!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE