Red Lentil Soup is a healthy hearty powerhouse soup recipe that is dense and spicy. Loaded with fiber, protein, folate, and iron. Gluten free, dairy free vegan and vegetarian.
Occasionally my good friend and health food knowledge guru will share recipe ideas on how he is eating clean and healthy.
Last week he told me about a new Mediterranean Restaurant that opened locally that served incredible fresh, delicious recipes that were different than anything else he had tried. He was impressed with the red lentil soup that he had the pleasure of enjoying. I had never had red lentils, but I am a huge fan of green and black lentils, so why not red.
Lentils are a super healthy food source. They offer a great source of folate and fiber. Lentils also deliver an impressive amount of blood-fortifying iron, especially when paired with a food containing vitamin C, such as peppers which is why you want to top this soup with a bit of spice. Likee other legumes, lentils are a significant (and virtually fat-free) source of protein.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped, peeled ginger (from 3” piece)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 carrot, peeled and finely diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1-2 diced Serrano
- Pinch of Crushed Red Pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, shallot and carrots, and cook, stirring often until softened, about 7 minutes. Add curry powder, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 cup of coconut milk, 8 cups of water, and the lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils and carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Pour 3 cups soup through a fine sieve into a bowl, reserving solids. Put strained liquid back into pot and puree solids in a blender. Let cool a little before you blend. Add blended liquid back into pan.
- Stir to blend and spoon into bowls and stir in drizzle of coconut milk and top with cilantro, serene pepper, red pepper flakes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: