Pecan Balls are little melt in your mouth buttery-nutty cookies of deliciousness. Perfect for the holidays or any day, they are also known as Mexican wedding cake cookies. A very easy recipe for even the beginner baker.
Today I am sharing my Mom’s Pecan balls, this is a recipe she would make every year during the holidays. It is my brother Randy’s favorite and one of mine, soon to be one of yours.
Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and when I was little we always bought a live Douglas Fir tree that my Dad and I would pick out. We decorated it with the big colored lights, family ornaments (some that I put on my tree today), and tinsel. My Dad was very particular about how many strands of tinsel were allowed on each branch. I would love to lay in the family room with nothing but the Christmas lights on, it was always so peaceful to me and made it really feel like Christmas.
I also remember that my Mom would bake through the holidays. There is something that makes a house feel like a home when the smell of baking is in the air, and it can make a childhood memory, ones that we carry with us throughout our lives. Its funny this recipe reminds me not just of my mother but my oldest brother Randy because I adored him so much and wanted to be just like him and he loved these cookies and as a little girl I would try them, but I always thought they were gross. To say I was a picky eater when I was little would be a HUGE understatement, I was nicknamed the bird.
I would continue to try them each year in hopes that something would change. Well, I guess change it did, because I eat these a plenty now. Its a good thing this recipe makes so many or none of my friends would get any in their goodie boxes. 🙂
- 1 cup pecan chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, for rolling balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line sheets with silicone baking pads or parchment
- Mix butter, salt, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add pecans and sifted flour.
- Using the a small scooper make 1″ balls, rolling to smooth, place on baking sheets with 2″ in between. Bake 1 sheet at a time in upper third of oven for 12-15 minutes. Until bottom is lightly brown. Cool on racks.
- Place 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and roll balls around until coated, returning to racks.
- Store in an air tight container for 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.