When I hear the name Black Eyed Peas, my first thought goes to Fergie, not the bean. Don’t judge me I listen to a lot of Hip Hop.
However, I am trying to start thinking of the bean first. Yes, it’s a bean not really a Pea. Black Eyed Peas are a great source of Fiber which helps regulate your digestive system. Fiber is also a great way to fill your belly making you feel full so you can resist eating more food than you need. Fibrous foods also can take longer to chew, giving your brain time to get the signal that you have had enough to eat.
In the Southern United States, eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is thought to bring prosperity in the New Year. If your New Years Resolution was to eat more healthy, give my simple little salad a try. Along with the Black Eyed Peas it is loaded with healthy delicious summervegetables, giving it a protein and iron punch. You can eat this salad alone or along the side of chicken or fish.
Orzo and Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 3/4 cup orzo I used tri-colored
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 cup seedless cucumber halved lengthwise, cored, and diced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbled
- Cook orzo according to package instructions. Drain in a sieve and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain well.
- Toss black-eyed peas, tomato, and parsley with vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Marinate, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss together orzo, remaining tablespoon oil, cucumber, onion, lemon zest and juice, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add Pea mix, top with blue cheese and stir to combine.
5 comments on “Orzo and Black-Eyed Pea Salad”
Thank you! It is delicious, and great to pull out later and nibble on. I love wooden plates and bowls too!
I love to eat Salads, salads are quite tasty and also they are considered to be health foods. Salads are also great when you are on a diet. ,”*,
Thank you, Lavonne. Salads are wonderful, they are a great way to get your daily veggies. Growing your own lettuce makes throwing the salad together a breeze. Plus you know, no pesticides have been sprayed.
Would recommend Eden brand black-eyed peas, as their cans are BPA-free! Looks delicious.
Thanks for the tip. I look for them next time.