Almond Bars with Cherries are a fruity sweet decadent gorgeous dessert that is perfect for everyday or a special occasions. Loaded with almonds, and fresh seasonal cherries.
Fresh Cherries are a delicious and healthy snack!
Oh my I have been buying up those delicious cherries at the grocery store. I leave the bag on the counter and snack on the little devils all day.
Obviously, the other inhabitants of this house have been too, because the bag is getting low. Looks like I will have to make another trip to the store tomorrow.
I am worried about when they will be gone, I mean at the store. I will miss them, so I am making the most of having them around. Tomorrow I am making a Cherry Galette, I am sure you will see it on here soon.
Taste testing at the grocery store.
But before I get carried away telling you about how these bars will tip your fancy with their deliciousness. I have a bit of a funny “ha-ha” story.
Me and the hubby decided it would be a fun Sunday afternoon to go check out this new MEGA international market-grocery store that opened several months ago called Jungle Jim’s. Jungle Jim’s is a bit of an all day event. The store is 200,000 square feet. No, I didn’t miss type, yep it’s that big. So any way we are in the produce department checking out the 3 different variety of cherries, and my hubby is a “taste tester” kind of guy.
Drives me nuts, but he feels if he is buying it he should be able to taste it, so he tastes the different variety of cherries and by the expression on his face I know which one to buy.
I reach over to grab the bag that I want, but before I can snatch it, a hand snatches my arm.
I look over and there is about 4′ 10″ older woman who can’t speak a lick of English shaking her head “no” and pointing to a different bag and pointing at the price tag.
The one she wanted me to buy was $1.00 less a pound and the sour variety. I smiled and went to try to grab the bag Iwanted, she proceeded to grab my arm again, shake her finger and then point again at the sign.
So, what do you do… I smiled said “thanks” grabbed the bag she wanted, which she smiled back at me. Did a lap around the produce aisle and went back and got the darn cherries I wanted. I
mean GEESH talk about pushy.
Back to these Delish Almond Bars with Cherries
I made these delectable and quite pretty Almond Bars with Cherries that will become a family baked good favorite. Give them a try, you will thank me, but make sure you buy the sweet cherries, not the sour ones.
Almond Bars with Cherries
- 8" baking pan
- Food Processor
- Electric Mixer
- 1/2 cup almond paste find it in your grocery store in baking isle
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature and separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 freshly pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 8″ x 8″ baking pan with aluminum foil to edges overhang the pan. Spray foil with baking spray or grease with butter.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, almond meal and salt. Set aside
- In a food processor grind together almond paste and granulated sugar until crumbly.
- In an electric mixer whip butter add almond mixture and continue mixing until fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and almond extract.
- While mixer is on low, add flour mix and just combine. (Do not over mix)
- Smooth batter into pan and use an off set knife or back of spatula to smooth top.
- Whip egg white and brush on top of batter.
- Evenly space cherries on top of batter, pushing in just a bit.
- Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 22-25 minutes. Will be golden brown around edges and a bit in the middle.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Pull foil edges up to remove bars.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, cut and serve