Pumpkin Cake with Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting…. the name says it all. Decadent, moist and sinfully delicious.
Follow me on Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
I love pumpkin and chocolate together. Well, I pretty much love chocolate with anything, but I couldn’t find a pumpkin cake recipe with chocolate frosting. So I made up my own. This is a beautiful cake! It is beautifully delicious too! OH MY the cake is perfectly moist and the frosting is dark and decadent! You can do this in a cupcake as well, but the cake is impressive! For the cake only use cake flour, the all-purpose will weigh it down and make it loose its moist and fluffy personality! I wanted the frosting to be darker than a regular buttercream, so I used 60% cocoa chips in the recipe. I must insist you do the same, the cake will loose its beauty with a light chocolate frosting.
Pumpkin Cake with Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 cup pumpkin purée canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger and nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray with baking pam two 9" spring form pans.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, salt, and baking powder till smooth. Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Pour half mix into each of the prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until tester (tooth pick) in center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. Loosen and remove sides.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating at low speed until blended.
- Increase speed to medium, and slowly add milk and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Microwave the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30 second intervals. Gradually add melted chocolate to mixture; beat until blended and smooth.
- If the frosting is too soft for spreading, cover and refrigerate for a few minutes until it firms up a little bit.
- When cakes are cool, place one cake on cake stand. Place a generous cup of frosting in the middle and spread evenly, using an off set icing spatula or rubber spatula or knife.
- Place second cake on top of frosted cake.
- Place remaining frosting on top and spread out toward the edges, the frosting will start to leak over the edges. Use your off set icing spatula or rubber spatula or knife to spread around the edges, spreading smoothly.
4 comments on “Pumpkin Cake with Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting”
Hi Amy….your cake is looks moist and yummy! Glad to see someone else likes pumpkin and chocolate like I do! Cheers~
Thanks Tiffany. That Harvest cake of yours looks like a dream! Thanks for stopping over!
oh my goodness! this just went right to the top of my list of things to do today!!
Let me know if you love it as much we did. It didn’t last long…. glad to see you!