Our Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup is rich, flavorful, and comforting on a cold day. This fall soup is a nutritional powerhouse with an irresistible blend of smooth cannellini beans, broccoli, and savory spices. Even better, it comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Creamy Broccoli and Bean Soup Recipe
There is something about cold fall and winter days that calls out for soup. A good soup can warm you up from the inside out and make you feel good when you’ve been craving comfort food.
Sadly, comfort food often looks like heavy fare loaded with dairy and carbs. But this creamy fall soup is anything but unhealthy! Broccoli contains vitamins K and C, folic acid, potassium, and fiber. And white beans are an incredible plant-based protein source that provides you with folic acid, vitamin B, magnesium, and iron. Together, they create a meal that is well-balanced and nutritionally dense.
But what about the flavor? This creamy white bean soup is packed with it! Aromatic veggies and savory spices combine to create a blended soup that makes your taste buds sing. If you’ve been looking for your new favorite fall soup recipes, get ready to add this one to the list!
What You’ll Need
Gather the following ingredients and get ready to enjoy a delicious and healthy soup. You’ll find the amounts included in the recipe card below this post.
For the Soup
- Olive Oil
- White Beans: I like using cannellini beans in this soup. You can also use great northern, white kidney, or navy beans.
- Vegetable Base: This recipe is made with an organic vegetable base (concentrated bouillon). If you don’t care if this soup is vegetarian, you can also use our Homemade Chicken Bone Broth for added flavor and nutrition. If you use stock or broth, omit the water.
- Baby Spinach: If you don’t have spinach, any leafy green (e.g. kale, swiss chard, or collard greens) will work.
- Seasoning: I used dried Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Toppings (any and all are optional)
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese: Omit the cheese for a vegetarian soup.
- Red Onion
How to Make Creamy Broccoli and Bean Soup
This creamy white bean soup comes together quickly, so I recommend prepping your veggies and herbs ahead of time. This makes it really easy to keep things moving once the soup starts to cook.
- Heat the Olive Oil. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over low heat until it starts to shimmer.
- Saute the Onions. Dice the onions and add them to the hot pan. Saute them over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the Garlic. Add the chopped garlic to the pan and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid burning the garlic.
- Add the Other Ingredients. Add in the beans, 3/4 of the broccoli florets, dried Italian herbs, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and the organic vegetable base. Stir everything together until the base coats all the beans and vegetables evenly.
- Pour in the Water. Pour in the water, stirring to combine. If you opted to use stock or broth instead of the organic vegetable base, add that in place of the water.
- Toss in the Spinach. Toss in the spinach and stir to combine.
- Cover and Simmer. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer the soup for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Blend the Soup. Transfer the cooked broccoli and bean soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender directly in the pot.
- Transfer the Soup Back to the Pot. Add the blended soup to the pot and turn the heat back up to medium. Add the remaining broccoli florets to the warm soup. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes until they are bright green.
- Serve. Serve the creamy broccoli and bean soup warm in bowls. Add any topping from the list.
Broccoli and bean soup can be partnered up with just about anything. It can also stand on its own as a light lunch. But for dinner, I like to pair it alongside a Grilled Bison Ribeye Steak or Orange Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin. It would also be fantastic served alongside a Goat Cheese Roasted Beet Salad and a piece of crusty bread. Afterward, enjoy a refreshing Peach Bourbon Thyme Smash to finish the meal with style.
Store any leftover broccoli white bean soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to eat, pour a bowl, heat, and serve!
Can I Freeze Broccoli and Bean Soup?
This broccoli and white bean blended soup freezes well and makes a fantastic protein-packed meal ready to go for later. Store the soup in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge. The next day, heat up a bowl and enjoy!
Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup
- Blender or Immersion Blender
For the Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp organic vegetable base
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Toppings (optional)
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil drizzled on top
- fresh chopped parsley
- grated parmesan cheese
- sliced jalapeno
More Delicious Soup Ideas
If you loved this creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup, try out a few of my other vegetarian soup recipes!