Gluten Free Banana Walnut Date Bread is packed full of flavor, is dense (wait till you pick it up), moist and delicious. It freezes well, so you can have a loaf to pull out when you have friends over or take as a hostess gift.
Gluten Free Banana Walnut Date Bread Recipe with A Healthy Life For Me.
I grabbed this Gluten Free Banana Walnut Date Bread recipe from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin a great vegetarian cookbook, especially if you are just beginning the journey to eating a more plant-based diet.
On top of trying to make a change over to mostly plant based diet (no worries I am still eating animal protein), to increase fiber and vitamins and minerals for my overall health, I have been trying to switch all my baking to Gluten Free.
I am finding the switch to Gluten Free pretty easy. This Gluten Free Banana Walnut and Date Bread is moist, dense and delicious with all wholesome ingredients. I picked up Namaste Perfect Flour Blend which contains no wheat, gluten, corn, soy, potato, dairy, casein, tree nuts or peanuts and I have been really pleased with the results. To change your baking over to gluten free the substitution is equal parts, so if your recipe calls for 1 cup of all-purpose flour use 1 cup Perfect Flour Blend. The recipe called for Safflower Oil, which has no flavor and is similar to Sunflower. If you want to avoid oil in this recipe substitute it with unsweetened applesauce.
Gluten Free Banana Walnut Date Bread
- 1 cup gluten free flour I used Namaste Gluten Free Flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 cup dried dates chopped and pitted
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana about 2 medium bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour baking pan or spray with organic baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir in the dates and walnuts.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the oil and the honey until smooth. Beat in the eggs, banana, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until evenly moistened. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, check on bread, if top is getting dark cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Store loaves wrapped tight in plastic wrap in the refrigerator or wrap in foil and freeze for up to one month.