Homemade Cocoa-Hazelnut Granola is a gluten free, dairy free, vegan recipe that is a delicious and healthy way to start your morning.
In the morning I am one grumpy mama until my coffee. It is not a fact I am proud of, but I know my limitations and being full of sunshine first thing in the morning. However, once I have my first cup of coffee and a little breaakfast in me, I am a whole new person. This is why I am all about simple easy breakfast options. Making your own granola is easy and a simple way to have a wholesome delicious breakfast on hand when you need it. Served up with some Almond milk or just a great mix to throw in a bag to snack on when you need a little pick me up, both ways hit the spot.
What is your favorite way to wake up in the morning? Are you like me all grumpy or are you a “good morning sunshine” kind of person?
Homemade Cocoa-Hazelnut Granola
- 3/4 cups hazelnuts
- 2 cups gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cups figs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds.
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 325°F. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a cutting board and roughly chop or use food processor, pulsing so you don’t over process.
- Place hazelnuts in a large bowl.
- Add figs to processor and chop until you have small pieces.
- Add chopped figs, oats, pumpkin seeds, and cacao nibs to hazelnuts. Toss with your hands, making sure to break apart any clumps of figs.
- Warm the maple syrup in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a small saucepan over low heat. When it is thin stir in the almond butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the maple syrup mix over the oat mix and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment.
- Scrape the granola mixture into onto the baking sheet press the granola mix firmly into the pan. Trying to keep it together. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes, until the granola is lightly browned around the edges.
- Break the cooled granola up into pieces.
- Store in airtight container.
You might also like: