This Italian Pine Nut and Apricot Cake is so moist and delicious. Totally decadent but is gluten free, and grain free and you would never know it, which you know means it is one killer cake recipe.
This moist delicious Italian Pine Nut and Apricot Cake is what you would expect to find at a side walk cafe in Italy. Great to enjoy with a cup of coffee in the morning, afternoon or after dinner.
That this recipe is Gluten Free and Dairy Free makes it all the better for all of us who are trying to eat healthier not only for the New Year but for our overall health. Another wonderful thing about this cake recipe is how simple it is to make, you don’t even need a mixer, you can blend everything by hand. booyah!
This is a great cake to have on the counter when you have house guests because the cake has a subtle flavoring that is so pleasing even to the pickets eaters. I should know because this is one of my brother-n-laws favorite recipes, so when he visits I always try and make him a cake because he MAY be hard to please. Though I am not saying that Vince is a picky eater….. a cough, cough.
Note: I have also frozen this with great success, but it is best fresh the day or two after it is made. If you don’t get it gobbled up after a day store it covered in the refrigerator for the next few days.
Italian Pine Nut and Apricot Cake
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter melted (12 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Almond or Coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried apricots chopped (about 15 whole)
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9" cake pan with organic baking spray or coat inside pan with extra virgin coconut oil and dust with flour.
- Place almonds and 1/4 cup of pine nuts on a baking sheet, but separated and bake for 4-5 minutes until nuts are toasted.
- Place pine nuts in a food processor and grind until a coarse meal.
- Place ground pine nuts, almond meal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Place butter in a medium bowl and melt in microwave.
- Add sugar and blend into butter, then add in milk, eggs, and almond extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Add in chopped apricots and stir till blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with almond slices and 1/4 cup of pine nuts.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes and dust with Powdered Sugar.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
4 comments on “Italian Pine Nut and Apricot Cake”
This looks amazing! I have a bunch of fresh apricots I need to use – would i need to adjust the recipe for that?
I have never made this with fresh apricots, but I would only use 1-2 apricots. I would love to hear your results.
Dear Amy, What a beautiful cake. I would love a slice of this. It looks so moist and wonderful…this would be a hit with friends and family. Pinning. xo, Catherine
Thanks Catherine, I hope you and your family enjoy the recipe. It is a family favorite for sure!