Is it breakfast? Is it lunch? It works for both and you will love it! This Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowl is packed with protein, healthy fats, and all the nutrients you need to fuel your day.
I made this bowl on a sunny afternoon for a late lunch, basically just wanting to use up some leftover cauliflower I had in the fridge. I stood in my kitchen with the refrigerator door open, looking for some inspiration and bacon became the catalyst of this bowl.
You know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention? Well, I’m so glad I needed to use that cauliflower because the result was this delicious Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowl.
Cooking the vegetables in bacon fat until they’re delightfully crispy was quite genius, if I do say so myself. And every egg deserves to be fried in bacon fat to add another layer of mouthwatering flavor.
Though I made this bowl for lunch, it would make an outstanding breakfast or light dinner. It’s so good, you might want to enjoy it for all three, all on the same day!
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Uncured bacon
- Green onions
- Baby kale – Spinach or another green you have on hand will work, too.
- Sliced almonds
- Avocado – Feel free to add more if you like!
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Lemon zest – I always use organic lemons for zest to avoid the chemical pesticides that are sprayed on conventional lemons.
- Sprouts – These are optional, but they’re loaded with vitamins and minerals, making your bowl even more nutritious.
What Is the Difference Between Bacon and Uncured Bacon?
Cured bacon is made with nitrates and nitrites to cure (or preserve) the meat and keep its pink color. Despite its name, uncured bacon is cured too, but it’s cured using natural nitrates from celery rather than synthetic ingredients.
How to Make a Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowl
If you’re making this for breakfast, you can prep and wash the cauliflower, green onions, and kale the night before so they’re ready to go in the morning!
Cook the bacon. Set a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until it’s crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and reserve half of the bacon fat in a small bowl; leave the rest in the skillet.
Cook the vegetables. Add the cauliflower and onion to the skillet with the bacon fat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender and browned. Stir in the kale and almonds and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the kale wilts and the almonds are golden brown.
Start assembling the bowls. Transfer the vegetables into bowls and divide the lemon zest into them; stir to combine.
Cook the eggs. Add the reserved bacon fat to the pan and cook the eggs with salt and pepper. Fry until the yolk is set but still runny, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Finish. Place an egg on each bowl, then add the avocado and sprouts. To eat, crack the egg yolk and stir everything together.
Tips for Success
Here are some quick tips and hints to make sure your Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowls turn out perfect.
- Cut the cauliflower into uniform pieces. That way, everything will finish cooking at the same time.
- Make it your own. I developed this recipe with what I had on hand in the refrigerator, so feel free to do the same! Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, chard—all of these and more would work in this recipe.
- Cook the eggs your way. If you prefer poached eggs, basted eggs, or even scrambled eggs, you can make this bowl with any kind of egg you like.
How to Store Leftovers
With avocado and fried eggs, these Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowls are definitely the kind of meal that’s best eaten right away. If you do have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days and reheat them in the microwave or in a skillet set over medium heat.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast that’s freezer-friendly, try my Banana Peanut Butter Protein Muffins or Superfood Peanut Butter Protein Breakfast Cookies.
Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowl
- 2 slices of uncured bacon cubed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower broken into florets
- 2 green onions sliced white and light green only
- 2 cups of baby kale
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/2 avocado sliced (more if you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest from organic lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2-4 tablespoon sprouts optional
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let drain.
- Pour off 1/2 bacon fat into a small bowl to reserve.
- Toss cauliflower and onion into the bacon fat the remains in the skillet and stir tossing to brown. You don't want the cauliflower to be mushy, just soft and browned. About 4-5 minutes depending on the heat you are cooking with.
- Toss in kale and almonds stirring to wilt the kate and slightly brown the almonds. 3-4 minutes.
- Remove everything into serving bowls. Top with lemon zest and stir.
- Pour reserved bacon fat into the same pan and cook your eggs, topping with salt and pepper and frying just until yolk is set, but still runny, 3-4 minutes.
- Place an egg on top of each bowl, add sliced avocado and sprinkle on sprouts.
- When ready to eat, crack egg yolk and stir everything together and enjoy.