This Spicy Watermelon Margarita comes with the sweet freshness of watermelon flavor with a hot spicy kick.
I can’t get enough of the summer ripened watermelon and my garden is bursting at the seams with peppers. Once again, I planted way too many pepper plants at my husband’s insistence, and every time I am in the garden looking at those plants drooping from the weight of all the peppers that I can’t ever use, I say to myself “not next year”.
Until next year when I do the same darn thing all over again.
So I was thinking of a watermelon margarita and then I thought well, why not add a bit of spice to the cool refreshing sweetness of watermelon, kind of yin and yang kind of flavoring. Instead of muddling the pepper I went wild and just add a small piece directly to the blender. Wild I know.
I used a small piece of pepper, literally just the end for my cocktail because I am a wimp when it comes to spicy flavors, you can as more to your cocktail if you are a spicy brave soul. Adding the entire part of the pepper directly to the blending gives the cocktail an earthy spicy flavor. You can do a muddle the pepper (smashing of the pepper) in a cocktail shaker adding the tequila, shaking and then straining the flavored tequila to the blended ice, watermelon, and lime juice to just get the kick. This method will give you a purer flavor.
Which ever way you choose to enjoy, enjoy it. Summer is coming to a close, the pools are closing and the kids are going back to school, but we still have several more weekends to enjoy a refreshing summer cocktail.
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1/4 cup diced fresh watermelon seedless variety
- 1/4 " to 1/2" piece of fresh jalapeño
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Fresh Ice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup optional, use if you like sweeter margaritas
- In a blender add 1/4 cup of ice, watermelon, jalapeño and lime juice, puree until smooth and no chunks of pepper remain (about 15-20 seconds)
- Add in tequila and simple syrup if using, pulse to stir.
- In a low ball or margarita glass pour cocktail.
- Add watermelon and/or slice of jalapeño to edge of glass for garnish