Sugar Snap Pea Shrimp and Quinoa Stir Fry is a healthy alternative to the higher sodium and fat stir fry dish, without losing any taste. A quick and easy dish to pull together makes it a great weeknight dinner.
My snap peas are in full flush now and I pick handfuls each day. Sugar Snap Peas are one of the easiest and cleanest veggies to grow. Peas like it cool and wet so spring is the perfect time to plant them. I planted mine back in early March and the vines have grown to the top of their trellis and are loaded with sweet pea pods. To learn how to grow peas click here.
Sugar Snap Peas are good for you too. High in vitamin C, A and fiber this water-soluble, antioxidant veggie has the vitamin power to speed wound healing, boosts immunity and also aids in the production of collagen. Yep, helps you look younger inside and out.
With the protein of the Quinoa, Egg and Shrimp this is a dish to please everyone filling you up without weighing you down. What will make you put this in your weekly dinner rotation is that this dish is done in less than 30 minutes. Add in that it is healthy, sumptuous and satisfying, it is a great way to get your Chinese food cravings in a healthy way. Have a great week!
P.S If you are looking for another great Quinoa recipe check out my Salmon with Quinoa Feta and Spinach dish.
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger grated
- 1 cup cleaned fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoon red chili flakes (less if you do not like spicy)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs, whipped
- 1 pound of extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon less sodium soy sauce
- 2 scallions, trimmed and green and white parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup of quinoa (I used tri-colored mix)
- 1 1/2 cup of vegetable stock or chicken stock (I used vegetable)
- Start cooking quinoa
- In a skillet over medium high heat or a wok add olive oil and cook eggs, scrambling.
- Remove cooked eggs from pan and set aside.
- Using same pan add sesame oil when heated add diced onion.
- Use spoon to scrape up any egg piece on the bottom of pan.
- Cook onion for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp and sugar snap peas and toss with ingredients to coat and evenly cook.
- Flipping shrimp after 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, honey and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- In a large serving bowl add Quinoa, Chia Seeds, Shrimp Mix and Eggs. Top with Diced scallion, toss and serve.