Voted second best cake by my hubby. According to him that is all that you should want to know….. I’m not even sure what #1 was? Whatever, the man loved this Apple Raspberry Almond Cake, I think he ate most of it himself, though you didn’t hear that from me.
Still coming up with recipes to use for Thanksgiving and still having an abundance of fall apples I wanted to make a cake that made me think of apples, cinnamon and sugar.
I made this a bit more on the healthier side, substituting in a bit of the Almond Flour for All-purpose and using Almond-Coconut milk instead of whole milk. I also used organic apples and raspberries and of course eggs.
If you are not a fan of raspberries you could substitute blackberries, or a mix of both.
Just try to use a tart and ripe apples.
- Granulated sugar, for pan
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ cup coconut-almond milk (you can use just almond or just coconut milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 McIntosh or Jonathan apples (about 1½ pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) raspberries
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter,cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray with cooking spray or butter a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with granulated sugar.
- In one Large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, milk, and eggs in another bowl.
- Whisk butter mixture into flour mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Arrange apple wedges over batter, and sprinkle with raspberries.
- Gently press fruit into batter.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds and sprinkle over fruit. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake until top is dark gold, apples are tender, and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from pan.