Blueberry Hand Pies are a perfect package of flaky sweet golden goodness. Buttery, and flaky pastry dough filled with sweetened popping blueberries and baked to perfection
What’s not to love about blueberries? They are considered one of the world’s healthiest superfoods. Blueberries contain antioxidants, which work to neutralize free radicals linked to the development of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other age-related conditions. These little powerhouses provide tasty ways of staying healthy.
This year’s weather gave growers a surplus of berries, so I say put them to good use by making hand pies.
I love hand pies, when I was in High School I played Basketball and when we had away games occasionally the bus would stop at McDonalds for dinner on the way home. Back in the day, going to McDonald’s was a big treat, not something you did often. One of the things I LOVED was McDonald’s apple hand pies. I don’t even know if they still sell them, but let me tell you homemade hand pies are a glorious thing, a real treat. They are easy to make and great to make ahead too.
We had some friends over for dinner a few weeks ago, and I made these little darlings up the day before and stuck them in the refrigerator, removing them and placing them on the counter a few hours before I knew I would serve them.
- Pate Brisee recipe click[url href=”http://ahealthylifeforme.com/2013/09/23/pate-brisee-for-pies-tarts-and-hand-pies/” title=”Pate Brisee for Pies, Tarts and Hand Pies”] HERE[/url]
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon zest from organic lemon
- 1 tablespoon of juice from lemon
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- Raw sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line baking sheet with Parchment paper or baking pad
- In a bowl add blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and salt and stir to blend.
- Place egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Roll out Pate Brisee until 1/4″ thick and cut into 3″ x 6″ rectangles.
- Place cut dough on baking sheet.
- Brush edges of dough with egg mix.
- Place a spoonful of blueberry mix on end of each piece of dough
- Fold dough over blueberries and pinch edges together
- Using fork crimp edges.
- Use a sharp knife and cut small holes in top of dough to create vents
- Brush top with egg wash
- Sprinkle with raw sugar
- Bake for 35 minutes or until edges and top are lightly browned.
- Remove and let cool before serving.