Gluten Free Almond Coconut Cake will be a welcome addition to your Easter and spring menu. Light and airy cake topped with a rich cream cheese frosting and shredded coconut.
Follow me on Bloglovin | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Gluten Free Almond Coconut Cake Recipe with A Healthy Life For Me.
This last weekend we were in DC watching our oldest son row in the GW Invitational Regatta on the Potomac River. The GW Men won the regatta for the first time in its history and our son was awarded the MVP of the year award from his coach. We were very proud and happy for his success.
Not only was the weekend full of proud accomplishments the weather was gloriously beautiful with blue skies and sunshine. The Cherry blossoms were in full bloom all over and it was the Cherry Blossom Festival weekend, which features a parade, tours, trinkets for sale and there are tourists walking everywhere. My hubby and I decided to go on a early Sunday morning run thinking that it would be nice to run down to the Jefferson Memorial before it became crazy busy and take in the sites and enjoy the wonderful weather. We couldn’t have been more wrong the area was crazy busy with tourists taking pictures, pushing strollers and trying to figure out how to get where they we were going and enjoying the amazing day, we were able to weave around everyone and still enjoy the sites and our run.
Finally with the break in the weather where it actually feels like spring is here, I am ready to start thinking of spring and Easter. I love Easter, the spring flowers, food and Easter baskets. One thing I remember about last Easter was this delicious Coconut Cake that I had at a local Cincinnati restaurant.
I have been craving that cake, but wanted to come up with a Gluten Free version of what I remember about the recipe. Using Almond Flour, and Coconut Flour in place of all-purpose flour allows this recipe to be gluten-free, and the flavor combination of Almonds and Coconut are dynamite (think Almond Joy minus the chocolate). Using the yogurt and coconut-almond milk (you can use plain almond or plain coconut milk in place) makes this Gluten Free Almond Coconut Cake perfectly moist, which to me is one of the most important factors in a delicious cake.
Do you have a favorite spring or Easter recipe? Let me know what it is, I would love to hear about your memories and the food that you love.
- 2 3/4 cup Almond Flour
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut almond milk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 16 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar, sifted
- 6 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 ° and grease two 9″ round cake pans, or spray with organic baking spray.
- Add flours, cream of tartar, and salt in bowl
- In bowl of electric mixer beat butter on high until butter is lighter and creamed, about 3-5 minutes. Lower speed of mixer to low and add eggs and extracts until mixed, and then slowly add confectioner sugar until blended.
- Alternating between, flour mix, yogurt and milk add in thirds (1/3 flour, 1/3 yogurt, 1/3 milk) until, blended.
- Add coconut to mix to stir and divide mixture between two prepared pans.
- Tap down to settle and bake for 45-47 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- Add cream cheese and butter to electric mixing bowl and beat on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add extracts to blend.
- Lower mixing speed to low and slowly add confections sugar.
- To assemble place 1 layer on a cake plate, top side down, and spread 1/3 of the frosting over the top.
- Place the second cake layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides.
- To decorate the cake, sprinkle the top with coconut.
- Serve at room temperature.