Is it breakfast? Is it lunch? It works for both and you will love it! This Paleo Cauliflower Avocado Egg Bowl is packed with so many good for you foods, protein, and healthy fats. What’s not to love?
I am obsessed with eating everything in bowls right now.
I love the neat and tidy way everything is layered, and how all the flavors melt together so well. BUT, with this bowl, you start out with everything mixed together, and then you top it with a fried egg, that you smash, cut and stir so that the yolk coats all those delicious veggies and that perfect fried bacon.
I made this bowl on a sunny afternoon for a late lunch, basically just wanting to use up some leftover cauliflower I had in the fridge. I stood in my kitchen with the refrigerator door open, looking for some inspiration and of course, the bacon became the catalyst of this bowl.
Cooking not only the vegetables to they are crispy in bacon fat was quite genius. Every egg deserves to be fried in bacon fat so that its creamy yumminess is enjoyed to perfection.
Though I enjoy this bowl for lunch, it would make an outstanding breakfast or light dinner.
- 2 slices of uncured bacon, cubed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 green onions, sliced white and light green only
- 2 cups of baby kale
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (more if you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest from organic lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2-4 tablespoon sprouts (optional)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let drain.
- Pour off 1/2 bacon fat into a small bowl to reserve.
- Toss cauliflower and onion into the bacon fat the remains in the skillet and stir tossing to brown. You don’t want the cauliflower to be mushy, just soft and browned. About 4-5 minutes depending on the heat you are cooking with.
- Toss in kale and almonds stirring to wilt the kate and slightly brown the almonds. 3-4 minutes.
- Remove everything into serving bowls. Top with lemon zest and stir.
- Pour reserved bacon fat into the same pan and cook your eggs, topping with salt and pepper and frying just until yolk is set, but still runny, 3-4 minutes.
- Place an egg on top of each bowl, add sliced avocado and sprinkle on sprouts.
- When ready to eat, crack egg yolk and stir everything together and enjoy.