Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Spinach is a simple, healthy and delicious dinner recipe that only contains four main ingredients and takes minutes to prepare. The slow cooker does the rest of the work and you get to serve up a low-calorie, high protein, nutritious dinner for the whole family with minimal work.
Did you have an awesome weekend? I hope you did.
Did you do anything exciting or interesting? Me, I went to dog whisperer with Xena on Sunday. Yes, I have flipped my lid. Or according to the men in my life, my husband and son, I have gone off the deep end.
Actually it was a silly thing my girlfriend asked me to do, we would take out fuzzy girls and go find out what they really thought of their crazy owners.
What we found out…. the dog whisperer is a loon. Shocker I know, but I think we both expected her to have fun with it, play along and be a little hokey. Nope she was just a really strange women who actually believes dogs whisper to her. She was very serious and a bit of drag. Plus she told me Xena is very anxious and needs to be socialized more. Mostly because Xena thought she was a drag too, and wanted to be out where all the other dogs were socializing and eating treats. She is not anxious just smart.
Oh well, you never know till you try.
Since I knew I would be out with the girls on Sunday evening, I made up a batch of this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Spinach which has to be the most AMAZINGLY simple recipe ever.
A quick saute of onion and browning of the chicken breasts and then you dump your favorite sugar-free salsa over top of the chicken and let it simmer on low for a few hours and then before serving you toss in some fresh spinach and cook until it is wilted. Serve and enjoy. This recipe is low in calories, with a ton of protein, vitamins, calcium, magnesium and iron. It is great topped with some fresh cilantro for added flavor. You can enjoy it as is for paleo recipes or along side quinoa or gluten-free rice.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram or Twitter with #ahealthylifeforme.
- 3 lb of chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 16 ounce your favorite sugar free salsa
- 5 cups of fresh spinach
- In a bowl combine chicken and all ingredients through ground black pepper. Toss together to coat chicken.
- If you do not have the capability to sear or brown your meat in your slow cooker use a heavy skillet, like cast iron.
- Over medium heat melt coconut oil and add onion, sauté 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Push onion to the outer edge of pan and add chicken. Cook until chicken starts to brown, about 4-5 minutes, flip and cook other side until browned, an additional 4-5 minutes.
- If using skillet add all ingredients to slow cooker.
- Add salsa over the top of chicken and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Using two forks shred chicken, this should be very easy to do. If you are struggling to pull chicken apart cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook on low for 15 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. You may need to flip it a few times.
- Serve and enjoy.
Cuisinart Slow Cooker Fontera Salsa
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: