I received a recipe request from my friend Mary, “a quinoa dish with mushrooms and green beans”. I first envisioned a dish that was similar to a risotto, so I made Quinoa with goat cheese to give it a creamy texture. It was good, but not something you would want to make again. The second time around, I tried for something with a spicy kick and southwestern flare. I knew I had it nailed, but it needed a cheese, cause everything is better with cheese. I wasn’t sure if Mary would prefer Blue Cheese or Parmesan, so I asked. Blue it was and a wise choice. The marriage of all the flavors makes for one delicious dish.
Thanks Mary for the request, inspiration is always appreciated. If you are looking for a recipe with a few of your favorite ingredients, I would love the challenge to come up with something for you, ask away!
- 1 cup quinoa cooked according to directions
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup french green beans, cut 1"
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, rough dice
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 whole, peeled)
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, white part only, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of kosher salt and Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 ounces of blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- pinch of kosher salt
- Cook quinoa according to directions and set aside to cool.
- In a medium size skillet over medium heat add olive oil.
- Add green beans and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Add mushrooms and carrots, cook 3-4 minutes until mushrooms and carrots soften
- Add garlic, scallions, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, stir and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to large serving bowl.
- Add black beans, quinoa, chia seeds and cilantro.
- Add dressing and stir to combine.
- Add blue cheese and gently stir to combine.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.