Apple Cherry Pear Almond Breakfast Muffins offer an explosion of flavor in every bite. Loaded with freshly diced apples, dried cherries and then topped with diced pears and sliced almonds makes these breakfast muffin delicious, wholesome and satisfying. Perfect to enjoy in the morning with your cup of joe.
Over the Top Muffins!
He will always be my baby.
As muffins go these are pretty healthy.
I cut down the flour and added almond meal, which is made with ground almonds which have proven to reduce risk of heart disease with antioxidant action of the vitamin E, and there is a healthy serving of fruits in each muffin.
Apple, Cherry, Pear and Almond Breakfast Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt I used light sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from 1/2 lemon 1 tablespoon
- 1 apple peeled, cored, cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
For the Streusel:
- 1 pear peeled, cored, cut into 1/4″ dice
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners and spray with baking spray. Line a tray with almond slices and sit in oven for 4-5 minutes until almonds are just starting to toast, but not brown. Remove pan and let cool.
- Place flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer beat 1/2 cup of the butter and sugar until creamed. Add one egg at a time until mixed. Scrape down sides of mixer and add sour cream, zest and vanilla blend.
- Add flour ingredients and mix until just blended (do not over-mix).
- Remove bowl from mixer and by hand add apple and cherries, mixing.
- Spoon mixture into each cup filling about 2/3 of the way.
- In a small bowl combine, pear, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter and almonds and combine.
- Place on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center of a muffin comes out clean.