Chocolate Sundae Cupcake is a fun play on the sundae. Chocolate Cupcakes topped with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, with a drizzle of chocolate ganache with sprinkles and a cherry on top. A bit of fun indulgence.
Cold Stone Creamery™ and International Delight have joined together to make three new flavored creamers Sundae-licious. Imagine a Cold Stone Creamery™ favorite, right in your coffee! I tried the Cold Stone Creamery™ Founders Favorite which tastes like brownie, pecan, caramel and fudge flavors mix with the taste of melted ice cream.
Check out International Delights Pinterest Board to get an idea of the fabulous flavors. International Delights asked me to make a recipe using one of their new Cold Stone Creamery™ flavors. So I thought dessert of course, but what kind. I wanted to be creative and remember seeing versions of Sundae Cupcake on Pinterest and got really excited to sit down writing this recipe using International Delights creamer in the frosting and the Ganache in place of Heavy Cream. I was so excited when these guys were finished because they were just so darn beautiful. I didn’t want to eat them, just take their picture. Needless to say, the guys had no problem taste testing to see if they were as good as they look… not a problem, they were worth every bite!
Chocolate Sundae Cupcake
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk or yogurt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature (8 tablespoons)
- 8 oz. cream cheese cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar sifted (make sure you sift)
- 2 tablespoons Cold Stone Creamery International Delights or Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 60% cocoa
- 1/3 cup Cold Stone creamery Internatila Delights or Heavy Cream
- ½ teaspoon corn syrup
- Maraschino cherries with stems
- Tri-colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and spray with baking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, coca, baking soda and salt to bowl and blend
- Add eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla to a standing mixer, and blend, add flour mixture slowly.
- Add coffee and blend, batter will be very runny.
- Using a measuring cup add batter to muffin tins till ? full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove and let tin cool on rack for at least one hour or until completely cool.
- Remove cupcakes from tin before frosting.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions:
- In an electric mixer beat butter until smooth.
- Add cream cheese and blend until fully combined and smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and blend on low speed until combined.
- Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
- Slowly add the Cold Stone Creamery™International Delights Creamer or Heavy Cream
- Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
Chocolate Ganache Instructions:
- Place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl.
- In a small-sized saucepan, bring the Cold Stone Creamery™International Delight Creamer or heavy cream and corn syrup just to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour mixture over the chocolate.
- Let stand without stirring.
- After 2 minutes, stir slowly until sauce is combined and has a glossy finish.
- When cupcakes are cool pipe frosting onto cupcake. (I used pipping tip Ateco #809)
- Place frosted cupcakes in refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes, to cool frosting.
- Remove cupcakes and using a spoon drizzle chocolate ganache over frosting. (you can use your finger to gently smooth ganache over top.
- Sprinkle tri-colored sprinkles over top of cupcakes.
- Top with Maraschino cherries.