This Easy Italian Wedding Soup with Chicken Meatballs is packed with healthy delicious ingredients. It is a lean, hearty recipe that is perfect for eating healthy. I love this recipe for meal prepping for myself. I make individual containers to heat up for lunch or dinner.
I think this recipe is better on day two. The pasta soaks up the broth and you are left with more of a pasta meatball dish vs. a soup. Not a bad thing!
How do you make Easy Italian Wedding Soup with Chicken Meatballs?
This is a super simple recipe to throw together for the family during the week or for meal prepping for the week. First make the meatballs. You can find the recipe for the meatballs (HERE). These can be made the same day or made a day ahead.
Once your meatballs are finished. You want to heat up a large stockpot over medium heat and add your olive oil. Once your oil is heated, add the carrots, onion, garlic and celery and cook until translucent.
Then add your broth.
Cooking Tip: I like to keep Organic Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base in my fridge. It is perfect for any recipe that calls for chicken stock. All you do is add it to water and let it dissolve for perfect broth.
Once your broth comes to a boil, you can add in your pasta. Depending on your personal tastes and or diet, you can use any kind of pasta that you prefer. If you are looking to make this gluten free- substitute pasta with gluten free pasta.
Cover your pot, lower the heat to simmer and let the orzo soak up the broth and soften. This should take about 8-9 minutes. You can stir a few times to ensure the pasta is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Once your orzo is cooked, add in your meatballs. Cover the pot again and allow the meatballs to finish cooking about 5 minutes. Add in your spinach, cover again and wait for the spinach to wilt. About 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat, and place soup in serving bowls with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top!
Tips for Making Easy Italian Wedding Soup with Chicken Meatballs.
- Use a good quality chicken stock. This is where your flavor comes from.
- Use a whole wheat pasta if you are counting your macros.
- Use a gluten free pasta if you are searching for a gluten free recipe. You will also need to use gluten free breadcrumbs in the making of the meatballs.
- Try and choose organic ingredients if possible.
- Meatballs can be made ahead, do not cook them all the way through. You will finish cooking them in the soup.
- You can also make meatballs ahead of time, and freeze. Thaw before adding to soup.
- If you will be reheating this recipe. Expect that you will have more of a pasta dish vs a soup. The pasta tends to soak up all the broth. Leaving a very flavorful dish (if you use a good quality broth)
Easy Italian Wedding Soup with Chicken Meatballs
- Dutch Oven
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 ⅓ cups chopped yellow onion
- ⅔ cup chopped carrot
- ⅔ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo preferably whole-wheat
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 20 cooked chicken meatballs RECIPE BELOW
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add orzo, Italian seasoning and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is just tender, about 9 minutes.
- Stir in meatballs, cover pot and cook until the meatballs are heated through and the about 5 minutes.
- Toss in spinach, cover and let spinach wilt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with cheese.
- Heavy Skillet
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
If serving with Marinara
- Add 1 jar/can of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, shape into 1-in. balls. You should end up with 20 meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add meatballs letting cook 3-4 minutes per side, flipping with a spoon when browned.
- Once meatballs are brown on all sides, set aside for finishing.
- If you want to serve with marinara sauce, add meatballs back to pan set to medium heat and add favorite marinara sauce. You will cook until meatballs are cooked through. 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place meatballs in serving bowls and top with grated parmesan and chopped parsley
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add meatballs letting cook 3-4 minutes per side, flipping with a spoon when browned.
Once meatballs are brown on all sides, set aside for finishing. If you want to serve with marinara sauce, add meatballs back to pan set to medium heat and add favorite marinara sauce. You will cook until meatballs are cooked through. 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, place meatballs in serving bowls and top with grated parmesan and chopped parsley