These gluten free dark chocolate popcorn bars are over the top sweet crispy, chewy treat. Quick to make, quick to disappear.
Why do you want to make these Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Popcorn Bars?
Chocolate, popcorn and brown butter in one packages give you a bit of classic chocolate chip cookie flavor with your favorite snack popcorn added in for crunch. The brown butter adds in that caramel undertone. Basically you will eat the whole batch yourself if you aren’t careful. My recommendation, give as many away as you can. Not only does it limit the number of bars you eat. It makes you really, really popular with your friends.
Why add popcorn to a dessert?
Have you ever had chocolate covered popcorn? If you have, then you know why I added popcorn to these gluten free dark chocolate bars.
I have fallen in love with Organic Lesser Evil Himalayan Sea Salt Popcorn. It is definitely my favorite snack these days. Clean, Rich in Fiber, Organic and let’s just be honest, it is the best bagged popcorn out there.
While I was making myself some chocolate chip cookies, I was snacking on popcorn. I thought, hmmmm. I wonder if popcorn would work in this recipe.
I threw in a handful and we ended up here. I made the recipe into bars, and added more popcorn.
As stated before, make this recipe with the warning that you will eat them. All of them if you are not careful, so pack some up and give them out as gifts. Your friends will thank you!
Are you looking for more bar or cookie recipes? Click (HERE) for your next dessert idea.
Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Popcorn Bars
- Mixing Bowl
- 13 x 9" baking pan
- Small Saucepan
- Rubber Spatula
- 1½ cups gluten free flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter cubed, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of cooked popcorn I used Lesser Evil Organic Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn
- Preheat to 375°.
- Spray a 13 x 9” cooking pan with nonstick spray. I used baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cook 1 stick of your butter in a small pan over medium heat, stirring often and scraping bottom of pan until butter foams, then browns. About 4 minutes.
- Transfer butter to mixing bowl Add 1/2 stick of remaining butter to melted butter, stirring until melted.
- Once butter is melted, add sugars and whisk until sugar is incorporated.
- Add egg, egg yolks and vanilla whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add flour mix into butter mixture and blend until incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until blended.
- Add popcorn to mix and stir gently.
- Pour mix into your prepared baking pan.
- BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.