Lentil Kale Chicken Soup is a healthy hearty soup to warm you up and fill you up on a cool night.
Chase away the winter blues with a cozy cup of Lentil Kale Chicken Soup.
I have been on a huge soup kick this last month. With the cold weather, there is nothing better than a hot bowl of soup at the end of the day. A delicious hearty bowl of soup not only can satisfy our hunger but nourish us. The problem with soup is that it can be so full of sodium that it causes inflammation in our bodies and can make us feel worse instead of better. This soup is lower in sodium and high in healthy vitamins and minerals.
This Lentil Kale Chicken Soup is made with all natural fresh ingredients, that is loaded with a good course of cholesterol-lowering fiber, Vitamin B, Folate and Magnesium, Protein, and is low in fat.
I use Green Lentils in this recipe. If you are unfamiliar with Lentils, they are a legume or Bean Family. Lentils can be found with the dried beans in your grocery store and come in a variety of colors. I chose green Lentils because they are considered the best because of their delicate peppery flavor. They hold their shape well after cooking. Any lentil will work in this recipe but you will need to lessen the cooking time.
Adding baby Kale adds another source of fiber, but also helps by aiding us in digestion and adds a huge boost of iron and Vitamin K which helps us fight various kinds of cancer.
This is not only a delicious bowl of soup but a bowl of nutrient-rich fiber, protein and vitamins, and minerals to help us live healthily.
- 3 pounds skinless boneless organic chicken breasts
- 2 peeled carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning Herbs
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes, each cube measure for 1 cup of broth
- 6 cups water + more if needed
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 cup fresh baby kale
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Parmesan Heel (optional)
- Rinse Lentils with water and after rinsed place in a bowl of cool water, set aside.
- Place chicken on a plate and season with a pinch of kosher salt and ground pepper on both sides, set aside.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil, when melted add carrot, celery and onion. Sautee for a few minutes, or until onion starts to softened.
- Add garlic and cook stirring for an additional minute or two.
- Push vegetables to the outer edge of pan and place chicken breast in center of pan.
- Just allow chicken to sear (lightly brown) about 3-4 minutes and flip to sear other side.
- Once chicken is seared, pour in water, chicken bouillon, bay leaf and Italian seasoning. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Bring to a quick boil and stir to make sure billions dissolve and mix with the ingredients (5 minutes).
- Lower temperature to simmer.
- Add parmesan Heel if using.
- Drain Lentils and add to soup.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- A few minutes before serving soup add kale. Kale will wilt.
- Serve and Enjoy