Marinated Eggplant is a recipe packed with tons of flavor and loads of vegetables, perfect for a summer side dish. Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan and Paleo Friendly
There are certain recipes you make for those you love. This Marinated Eggplant recipe is definitely one for my husband. He has always loved marinated eggplant since he was a boy and his Mom would make it for her family. When we were in Italy several years ago, I fell in love with the pretty purple vegetable too. I fell hard when it was served to me marinated on a toasted Italian bread with fresh mozzarella on top. LOVE< LOVE> LOVE! If you have never had homemade marinated eggplant, you do not know what you are missing, and the perfect time to try eggplant is summertime. Eggplants will be arriving from local farmers to the market soon so you don’t want to miss out. When picking an eggplant you want to choose for a deep purple color with a glossy shine. When you squeeze the eggplant it should yield slightly, but should not be too firm or too soft.
I have always used a version of this recipe from The Silver Spoon cookbook but spiced it up a bit by using a bit of jalapeño pepper, along with my red sweet peppers. The key to a great marinated eggplant is let it sit! The longer this marinades in the refrigerator the better it will be. You can marinate for 6 hours, but I always marinate 24 hours. Which of course makes this dish all the better to serve over the summer when you have guests over because all the work is done the day before. Serve a nice crusty bread along side to dip in the marinade when all the eggplant is gobbled up. Or scoop up some eggplant and plop it on a slice of bread enjoy it while you can sit outside sipping on a cool glass of wine (just a suggestion).
Just thought I would show you a photo of my assistant during photo shoots. She assists me by laying down and falling asleep directly underneath where I am standing on the counter (yes I stand on the counter) to take my photos. Making it an obstacle course to hop down off the counter. Wouldn’t you like to be able to sleep like that? I know I would. xo Amy
- Baking Sheet
- 1 1/2 pounds of eggplant cut into 1/4" thick slice
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt more if needed
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper diced (about 2 ounces from jar)
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 small finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon capers drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh Parsley chopped (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Place the eggplant slices on a paper towel. Sprinkle salt over both sides of eggplant and let sit for 30 minutes.
- (Eggplant will sweat) pat dry with towel.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Drizzle 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil onto a baking sheet.
- Place sheet in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and layer eggplant in hot oil , be careful of hot oil and do not overlap eggplant.
- Place in oven on top rack and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove, flip eggplant and cook an additional 8-10 minutes or until eggplant is soft and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow the eggplant to cool slightly.
- In a bowl stir together garlic, jalapeno, red pepper, capers, chopped parsley and 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- Place Eggplant slices in single layer in a rimmed serving dish slightly overlapping and season again with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Pour topping over eggplant slices, cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
You might also like: