These Mint Chocolate Cupcakes are dense and moist then topped with a creamy chocolate mint flavored frosting and mint cookie crumbs.
I have a confession to make. I avoid girl scouts.
I know, I know not nice, but those damn cookies are so addictive. I see the girl scouts sitting over at their table by the exit doors when I go into the grocery store entrance doors. The carts separate us so I can check out their location without making eye contact. I make it a point to exit through the entrance doors when I leave to avoid buying the cookies or telling those cute girls in their green uniforms “no”. I am weak.
I have another confession to make, I love going to tractor supply. Don’t judge me. It is such a cool place. I get my chicken food, and other stuff my chickens don’t need. I check out the farming magazines and look at the gardening signs, and even last week they had baby ducks and chicks. Nothing cuter than baby ducks! Took some i-phone pics and sent them to my husband threatening to bring some home. I am a TOTAL DORK!
So, I didn’t see them when I cheerily grabbed my shopping cart out front of the Tractor Supply last week to make my trek through the store to see what I could see. As I rounded the corner there they were…. the girl scouts and their Mom. “Hello would you like to buy some girl scout cookies” they asked. “Why, yes I would” I said, when I was saying silently in my head “NO, NO, NO I would not”
So that is how I ended up with a “few” boxes of girl scout cookies and yes you know which ones… the thin mints. What other girl scout cookies are there. Yes, I know the coconut ones are good, but really? Its’ all about the thin mints.
So here you have the best damn mint chocolate cupcakes you have ever eaten! I really out did myself with these babies. I blame it all on Tractor Supply and those cute little girl scouts.
P.S.- if you don’t have girl scout thin mints they sell all different just as addictive thin mint cookies in the cookie isle at your grocery store.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of all-pupose flour
- 1 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or DAVE's syrup
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or DAVE's syrup
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips melted
- 1 cup confectioners sugar SIFTED
- 15 mint thin cookies crushed
- 6 minut thin cookies roughly crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and spray with baking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, coca, baking soda and salt to bowl and blend
- Add eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla to a standing mixer, and blend, add flour mixture slowly.
- Add coffee and blend, batter will be very runny.
- Using a measuring cup add batter to muffin tins till 2/3 full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove and let tin cool on rack for at least one hour or until completely cool
- Add 15 cookies to a ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pen or pan.
- Add bittersweet chocolate to a small bowl and microwave for 1 minute, remove and stir. Cook an additional minute, and stir. Set aside
- In an electric mixer add cream cheese, butter and vanilla and beat till blended and creamed.
- Add chocolate and beat to blend.
- Add confectioners sugar slowly, mix till blended. Add crushed cookies and stir in by hand.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe frosting using a large opened piping tip and top with additional crushed cookies.