I am on the head cold congestion train at the moment. I feel like my head weighs about fifty pounds, and I just want it to GO AWAY!
There is nothing worse than a spring cold because with the warmer, hopefully drier weather, I can finally get out into the garden. But, the head cold makes me feel like crap-ola and all I have energy to do is lay on the coach and watch Netflix.
Well watch Netflix, and eat. What is it with the old analogy about feeding a cold? It is true in my case, I want the comfort of food when I am feeling crappy. In this case the comfort came in the form of this Potato Kale Frittata with plenty of salty parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Simply Potatoes contacted me and asked if I would write a recipe using one of their products. They wanted me to come up with a recipe using one of their cut potatoes, and four other ingredients.
I came up with this Potato Kale Frittata Recipe with the idea that I wanted a dish I would gobble up while feeling good about what I was eating. This recipe makes a great breakfast meal or side dish or light dinner. Simply Potatoes Hash Browns are Gluten Free, so they can be used in all your gluten free recipes.
- 4 cups of frozen shredded hash browns (Simply Potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 ounce container of Baby Kale
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 large egg
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat melt coconut oil, add shallot.
- Stir until shallot starts to caramelize 4-5 minutes, add kale.
- Once kale is wilted, 2-3 minutes add red pepper, potatoes, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and eggs, stir to combine.
- Then cover and DO NOT STIR again, let cook 10-12 minutes.
- Set broiler on oven.
- Slide uncovered pan on top rack of oven to toast the top of your potatoes 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve.