This creamy, dreamy Healthy Coconut Frosted Lemonade is a dairy-free, naturally-sweetened spin on everyone’s favorite frozen fast food treat. Now you can make a healthier version at home—even on Sundays!
I wouldn’t consider this recipe a copycat version of Chick-fil-A’s frosted lemonade—instead, think of it as an upgrade. Rather than loading it up with sugary lemonade and ice cream, my version is made with freshly-squeezed lemon juice, honey or maple syrup, coconut cream, and yogurt.
This Healthy Coconut Frosted Lemonade is refreshing and creamy, the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and you can enjoy it—guilt-free!—seven days a week. In fact, it’s so healthy, you could even have it for breakfast like a smoothie!
If you haven’t had frosted lemonade before, it’s a one-part slushie, one-part milkshake, and 100 percent irresistible. When everything’s blended together, you get a creamy, frothy texture. Using coconut cream and yogurt adds a subtle coconut flavor, but the lemon is definitely the star here!
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice – You’ll need juice from about 3 medium lemons or 2 large lemons.
- Local honey or high-quality maple syrup – You can make this frosted coconut lemonade vegan by using maple syrup.
- Coconut yogurt – I use Cocoyo Yogurt to keep this dairy-free; if you eat dairy, use your favorite plain, coconut, or vanilla yogurt.
- Coconut cream
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed ice
How Do You Make Coconut Cream Out of Coconut Milk?
Take your can of coconut milk and chill it in the refrigerator overnight. Then, open the can of milk; the cream will be at the top. Scoop this out for the recipe, leaving the water behind. You can drink the water or add it to a smoothie.
How to Make Healthy Coconut Frosted Lemonade
Once you’ve assembled the ingredients, it takes just a few minutes to make this homemade frosted lemonade!
Blend the first 5 ingredients. Place the lemon juice, honey or syrup, yogurt, coconut cream, and vanilla in the jar of your blender. Turn the blender on low, then slowly turn the dial to high speed and blend until the mixture is smooth and well-combined.
Add the ice. Place the ice in the blender and pulse until frosty and smooth.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips and hints for perfect frosted coconut lemonade.
- Get a head start. You can make the lemon mixture in advance and chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, add the ice to the chilled lemon mixture and pulse until combined.
- Sweeten to taste. Depending on the yogurt you use, you may want to use more or less sweetener.
- Don’t forget to chill the coconut milk. That way, the coconut cream will be ready to scoop out of the top of the can!
- Don’t use lite coconut milk. It has a lower fat content, which means you won’t get that thick layer of coconut cream at the top.
Want to make this recipe your own? Here are a few variations to try:
- Add a handful of frozen strawberries for strawberry coconut frosted lemonade.
- Or, try blueberries, raspberries, or any other fruit that would go well with lemon!
- Instead of lemon juice, use lime juice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint for a mojito-inspired frozen treat.
How to Store
Unfortunately, this Healthy Coconut Frosted Lemonade is not a recipe that keeps well. It will either freeze solid in the freezer, or lose its light, whipped texture as the ice melts in the refrigerator. As mentioned above, you can make the lemon mixture in advance and store that in the refrigerator for a day before adding the ice.
More Summer Drink Recipes
- Sparkling Orangeade Cocktail
- Electric Lemonade Cocktail
- Blackberry Martini
- Cucumber Lime Black Pepper Cocktail
Healthy Frosted Coconut Lemonade
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice about 3 medium lemons or 2 large lemons
- 7 tablespoons local honey or high quality maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt I use Cocoyo Yogurt to keep this dairy free
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups ice crushed if you have cubed ice, add ice to blender by itself and blend to achieve crushed ice store in freezer until ready to use
- In a blender, blend together all ingredients except for ice. Chill lemon mixture until ready to serve
- Right before serving: Add ice to the chilled lemon mixture and pulse until combined but frosty and smooth.