Smoked Salmon Toast is the perfect way to start your day, entertain your guests, or enjoy a light lunch.
Great when you are home and need a quick and easy to pull together healthy meal. Perfect to serve to guests. Just lay out the ingredients and let them assemble their own version.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE MY AVOCADO SMOKED SALMON TOAST
This recipe is not just a pretty face. It is delicious, nutritious and so so simple to pull together. The hardest thing you will have to do to make this recipe, is pick a ripe Avocado. Tip to help picking a ripe Avocado: The stem trick is one more method for determining if an avocado is ripe. Simply peel back the small stem cap on the top of the fruit. If the stem comes off easily and you see green, it’s good to eat. If the stem is fussy and won’t come off, it’s likely not ripe.
WHY I CREATED THIS RECIPE
I really am trying to incorporate more healthy seafood into my diet. An easy and quick way to do that is with smoked salmon. Smoked salmon is low in calories, packed with nutrients, vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids, all of which will boost your health and lower your risk of cancer, heart disease, and cognitive decline.
Don’t confuse smoked salmon for lox. The difference is that lox is cured, smoked salmon goes through the process of smoking. Which gives it that lovely deep smokey flavor that goes so wonderfully in this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE MY AVOCADO SMOKED SALMON TOAST
This is so simple to prepare you will be amazed.
All you need is a little time, cutting board, a few bowls. No cooking necessary. Unless you consider toasting the bread, cooking.
Make sure you use a good quality bread here. I prefer rye or sourdough. Both are low in sugar. If you are going gluten free, use a good hearty gluten free bread in place of the rye or sourdough.
Mashing your avocado, with a bit of lemon juice and yogurt, makes for a beautifully creamy spread to start your layering process.
Then really the rest of the topping process can be done however you like it.
I added a bit of spice with a hot red pepper on top of the microreens. This is not necessary, but if you like a little kick of spice in your food, I highly recommend it.
Smoked Salmon Toast
- Cutting Board
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp fat-free yogurt
- ½ lemon juiced (use the other half of lemon for dressing)
- 2 slices sourdough or rye bread toasted
- a pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces of sliced smoked salmon
- 1/4 cucumber ribboned with a veg peeler
- a handful of microgreens
- Slices of a small red hot chili jalapeño will work here too.
- ½ lemon zested and juiced
- 1 small tomato finely diced
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside
- Halve the avocado, remove the stone and scoop the flesh into a bowl.Add the yogurt and lemon juice and mash everything with a fork. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the avocado between the toasted bread, sprinkle over a little cayenne pepper and add the smoked salmon and cucumber. Spoon over the dressing, then top with the microgreens, and sliced pepper.