This Strawberry Chocolate Paleo Cake recipe is a decadent, dark rich chocolate, moist cake, and sweet strawberry confection. No one will know that it is dairy free and grain free because it is so satisfyingly delicious.
I am a total sucker for a good moist decadent chocolate cake. I am pretty much for anything that might include chocolate. I have been trying to keep with a diet that is mostly dairy-free and sugar-free and so coming up with a chocolate cake recipe that tasted like a good chocolate cake and did not include dairy or sugar was a bit of a science experiment. I think adding fresh strawberry juice really adds the little something special to this cake. To get your strawberry juice, place four medium sized strawberries that have been hulled and mash with a fork. Then strain the pulp through a small strainer catching the juice in a bowl. Any extra juice can be enjoyed by added to a tall glass of ice water.
Anytime you want to exclude dairy in your baked goods, applesauce is a great alternative.
The frosting is made with enjoy life chocolate chips which are dairy, nut, and soy-free and can be found in your organic section of most grocery stores. If you are not on the Paleo diet or not restricting your diet you can substitute regular semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Any extra cake slices should be stored in the refrigerator, and enjoyed over the next few days.
Strawberry Chocolate Paleo Cake
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1/3 cup coconut flour sifted
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar free applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoon strawberry juice from 4 medium fresh smashed and strained strawberries
- 2 cups enjoy life chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee
- about 10 medium fresh strawberries hulled and quartered
- Grease two 9" round cake pans with a bit of cocout oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract, coconut oil and strawberry juice on low speed.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet while mixer is running on a low speed.
- Once blended, evenly pour into pans.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until baked through.
- Let cakes cool on wire rack
- Place a medium bowl over a small pan filled with about an 1" of water.
- Heat water over medium heat.
- Stir chocolate until completely melted.
- Add coffee and coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Remove cakes from pans. Place first cake on cake stand. Place 1/2 of the frosting and spread to evenly coat top of cake.
- Carefully place second cake on top of frosting.
- Spread the remaining frosting over top of cake until reaches edges.
- Starting in the middle of cake lay cut strawberries and continue until just before the edge of the frosting