Tuscan Braised Cannellini Beans with Sausage is a slow-cooked sauce, which produces beans with deep, rich flavor. Pair with Italian sausages for a homey, stick to your ribs satisfying meal.
Tuscany is famous for its bean production
White beans are such a Tuscan food. The people living in Tuscany are affectionately nicknamed, beaneaters.
After having been in Tuscany I have a new appreciation on how you can take a simple food like a white bean, add a few fresh herbs and good olive oil and you are eating a simple hearty and delicious dish.
Most Italian homes eat beans every week for at least one meal.
When I was at the food market in Florence, I got a little tutorial from my friend Peggy Markle on picking the perfect dried beans.
Pick beans that are off white in color with shiny firm skins. Beans that are wrinkled and hard are usually old and will have a deteriorated flavor.
Why you should make Tuscan Braised Cannellini Beans with Sausage.
This recipe is savory and delicious. Quick to assemble and made with clean simple ingredients.
Dried Beans Should Soak Overnight.
Rinse dried beans before soaking overnight or if you are going to do a quick cook. I prefer soaking dried beans overnight
We know that to keep ourselves healthy we need a diet rich in fiber. Beans contain a wealth of fiber as well as protein. They really are good for helping all of us to maintain a healthy diet.
To ensure this recipe is Gluten Free, check your bean packaging.
Are you looking for other recipes using beans? Click (here)
Are you looking for other recipes using sausage? Click (here)
Tuscan Braised Cannellini Beans with Sausage
- Dutch Oven
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Italian sausages cut into halves (I used Tuscan Italian Sausage)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red onion diced about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage chopped
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups cooked cannellini or navy beans either fresh or canned
- 1 cup of the water in which you have cooked the fresh beans or 1 cup of water from the canned beans
- 1 rind of parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large sauce pan or dutch over heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and brown on all sides. You are not cooking through, just browning and releasing some of their juices.
- Once browned, remove and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add garlic and onion to the pan. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Add herbs stirring until onion softens. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and any juices back to the pan, as well as chicken broth, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinara, water and beans. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and add parmesan rind. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Stir consistently to prevent beans and parmesan rind from stickling to pan.
- Sauce will thicken and reduce down.
- Serve topped with grated parmesan, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
1 thought on “Tuscan Braised Cannellini Beans with Sausage”
This would be great for a Christmas dinner. I’m also struggling to a healthier lifestyle here. I’ve even start running with SportMe marathon training app and I’m on the right track. Nutrition is another important part of my losing weight plan, and your blog posts help me stay motivated.