Gluten Free Blueberry Chocolate Cake is a moist, delicious cake that is loaded with fresh blueberries, almonds and chocolate flavors. This cake is also gluten free, dairy free, paleo friendly and contains no granulated sugar.
I had a doggy babysitting job over the weekend for my friends sweet little shitzu Stella. When I picked her up she was immaculately clean with her hair up in a cute little ponetail on top of her hair.
When I got home I took her out in the yard to introduce her to my dogs. Xena my 1 year old airedale was somewhere in the back yard and I yelled for her and she came around the corner at a full gallop. Yes, she gallops. I am not sure where she was but to say she was muddy is an understatement, her muzzle and all four legs were covered in mud and she was running straight for the beautifully clean Stella. It all played out in slow motion, sweet Stella looking oblivious and Xena flinging mud with every step coming in at full speed to say “hello”. Thankfully I grabbed Stella off the ground just as Xena would have completely covered her in mud. To say I was relieved was an understatement. Shitzu’s have an awful lot of hair and giving her a bath sounded like a nightmare.
After Stella went home, I got to working on a cake recipe for Mother’s Day.
This cake is awesome, I love the chocolate throughout the cake with the crunchy almonds and sweet blueberries on top.
My oldest son is coming in tow and I am looking forward to spending the whole weekend relaxing and enjoying the spring weather with my family.
Do you have special plans for Mother’s day?
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup + 3 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups coconut cream
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet enjoy life chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar for topping
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 350° F. Grease a 10-inch springform cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, eggs, coconut cream, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add the coconut cream mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and no lumps remain. Pour in chocolate chips and stir to combine. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Top batter with fresh or frozen blueberries, gently pressing into the batter. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and then sprinkle generously with coconut sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool to room temperature before slicing to serve.
- Top with any remaining berries.
- The Cake will last well wrapped in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.